Friday, July 25, 2008

Clark County Fair

So I have to admit I have never been to a real county fair before. I never even knew Springfield had a fairground before and I wonder what this huge area is used to the other 51 weeks of the year. While walking around the fair though I got a familiar feeling that I had been here before, which I of course hadn’t. Finally it was the shriek from a child on one of the rides that took me back to Skanninge Marknad back home in Sweden this is pretty much the same thing. There are some exceptions though.

First of all there is not as much crap sold at a county fair. The stuff that is sold is from local people who have done their own purses or quilts and they are really quite nice. The second major difference is the food. Don’t get me wrong I love the cocotops that you get in Sweden. But I got a piece of boneless pork chop on a bun that was the best pork I have ever had. Having rows and rows of pigs 10 feet away added to the experience. Of course all these animals and live stock auctions is something else you don’t see at a Swedish market.

American fairs are funny they deep-fry absolutely everything. There were deep-fried veggies (which actually were really good), potatoes, candy bars, oreo and frozen cheese cake. There were of course also funnel cake, which is just deep-fried batter.

All and all it was a pretty nice experience. Actually a lot nicer than the Swedish markets and I will probably go back next year.

1 comment:

Ed Winkle said...

Hi Erik,

I just found your blog. I have judged the crops at the Clark County Fair for many years.

I enjoyed your comments.